Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > Political Forums > Civil Rights & Abortion
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Civil Rights & Abortion Discuss LGBT law backlash hurting job search at the Political Forums; Originally Posted by winston53660 Not getting a job is a punishment now? If he's being denied a job for the ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 03-18-2017, 11:24 PM
Joe Shoe's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,089
Thanks: 764
Thanked 1,505 Times in 1,024 Posts
Default Re: LGBT law backlash hurting job search

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
Not getting a job is a punishment now?
If he's being denied a job for the reasons he claims, then yes.
__________________
What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand???
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Shoe For This Useful Post:
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 03-18-2017, 11:40 PM
Joe Shoe's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,089
Thanks: 764
Thanked 1,505 Times in 1,024 Posts
Default Re: LGBT law backlash hurting job search

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post

"freedom of ideas" has nothing to do with this. The idea is free. Freedom implies avoiding GOVERNMENTAL repercussions, not PRIVATE repercussions.
Like Freedom of Speech means the government cannot punish you for your speech. An employer may fire your butt for saying it though... Freedom of speech has NEVER meant that a private employer can't reject you for what you say.
You miss the obvious key point ....
The employers here are UNIVERSITIES--a place where the marketplace of ideas is supposed to be encouraged. NO ONE is saying they don't have the RIGHT to refuse to hire him, but they show hypocrisy in doing so, if rejecting him for the reasons he states.
And your statement about 'firing' someone is a canard--that's not even what we're talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
The right keeps pretending that they dictate what the left believes regarding "tolerance". They don't. I don't know of anybody on the left who believes in absolute tolerance.
Maybe you're right and the right is just giving the left too much the benefit of the doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
By your approach, why don't we talk about "tolerance" of thieves? Is that a violation of left-wing ideals?
Um ... the left turns a blind eye to thievery all the time when it suits their ideology--the tacit refusal to come down hard on the looting in Ferguson and Baltimore and give thugs a pass for all of that was is a prime example. So yes, we can certainly talk about that, but I don't think you really want to go there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
You're pulling this thing you do where you quote only part of my response in order to further a strawman attack.
It's not a comparison between Hitler and McRory.
It's talking about YOUR ARGUMENT and how "standing up for his principles" is a woefully inadequate argument.
None of that invalidates the fact it's a comparison to Hitler. Someone says someone is standing up for their principles, then someone else brings up Hitler as a comparison, in order to provide the worst example imaginable of principles ... there's no reason to do that other than playing the Hitler card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
Jesus was standing up for his principles.
That puts McRory somewhere inbetween Hitler and Jesus.
No one created a paradigm that would place McRory in the MIDDLE but YOU. That's your creation AFTER the Hitler card was played. Not a representation of the post you're defending. You're the only one who's brought up Jesus.
__________________
What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand???
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Shoe For This Useful Post:
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 03-18-2017, 11:49 PM
winston53660's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,221
Thanks: 1,853
Thanked 4,261 Times in 3,190 Posts
Default Re: LGBT law backlash hurting job search

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shoe View Post
If he's being denied a job for the reasons he claims, then yes.
He made his position publicly. And now publicly people do not want to associate with him.
__________________
Originally Posted by TiredRetired View Post
Damn shame it couldn't have been a father / son event. IMHO.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 03-18-2017, 11:54 PM
winston53660's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,221
Thanks: 1,853
Thanked 4,261 Times in 3,190 Posts
Default Re: LGBT law backlash hurting job search

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shoe View Post
You miss the obvious key point ....
The employers here are UNIVERSITIES--a place where the marketplace of ideas is supposed to be encouraged..
Flat eathers creationist as well as homophobes have been disproven so many times it is not worthy of any time.
__________________
Originally Posted by TiredRetired View Post
Damn shame it couldn't have been a father / son event. IMHO.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 03-19-2017, 02:39 PM
foundit66's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Gender: Male
Posts: 24,843
Thanks: 9,806
Thanked 14,905 Times in 9,025 Posts
Default Re: LGBT law backlash hurting job search

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shoe View Post
If he's being denied a job for the reasons he claims, then yes.
And that's actually another thing...
How does he justify claiming that knowledge?

Too often people will declare their political opponents as their boogeyman for blame when they have no justification for making that association.
__________________
“Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.”
~Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 03-19-2017, 08:07 PM
Joe Shoe's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,089
Thanks: 764
Thanked 1,505 Times in 1,024 Posts
Default Re: LGBT law backlash hurting job search

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
He made his position publicly. And now publicly people do not want to associate with him.
Exactly ... like I pointed out, the guy's being punished.
Thanks for helping make my point.
__________________
What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand???
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 03-19-2017, 08:22 PM
winston53660's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,221
Thanks: 1,853
Thanked 4,261 Times in 3,190 Posts
Default Re: LGBT law backlash hurting job search

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shoe View Post
Exactly ... like I pointed out, the guy's being punished.
Thanks for helping make my point.
Punishment? LOL he made his bed...
__________________
Originally Posted by TiredRetired View Post
Damn shame it couldn't have been a father / son event. IMHO.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 03-20-2017, 11:51 AM
foundit66's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Gender: Male
Posts: 24,843
Thanks: 9,806
Thanked 14,905 Times in 9,025 Posts
Default Re: LGBT law backlash hurting job search

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shoe View Post
Exactly ... like I pointed out, the guy's being punished.
Thanks for helping make my point.
I love how the right-wing tries to pretend they're of the mind-set that employers should be able to hire / fire as they please...

... until it actually affects one of their own. THEN it's just a "punishment".
__________________
“Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.”
~Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 03-20-2017, 02:11 PM
mr. wonder's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,954
Thanks: 8,410
Thanked 4,850 Times in 3,288 Posts
Default Re: LGBT law backlash hurting job search

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
Not getting a job is a punishment now?
Not getting a job because you hold views that are unpopular has been punishment for like forever winston where've you been.
that's why there are laws against discriminatory practices.
and you see those disclaimers in job postings about hiring not based on color religion creed or sexual etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
He made his position publicly. And now publicly people do not want to associate with him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
Punishment? LOL he made his bed...
if you didn't get a job because of controversial things you've said on this board PUBLICLY I guess you'd be fine with that then too right? you made your bed.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shoe View Post
If he's being denied a job for the reasons he claims, then yes.

Joe For some reason I suspect if some former LGXYZ official was being rejected from getting jobs because they promoted some controversial sexuailty laws while in office that there'd be howls of "Discrimination". And outraged cries of how the law PROTECTS LGBTXYZ. And fat LAWSUITS against those that were afraid to hire because of "IMAGINED" protest. But somehow that doesn't apply to the other side of this issue.
Sadly to many folk it's 'SO CLEAR' how the law only protects those that PROMOTE homosexuality and gender confusion and not those ... NEVER those... that promote biological gender standards and traditional marriage.

To maintain the views of biological gender standards and traditional marriage in public law or private biz (or public discourse) is by DEFAULT 'discriminatory' and 'hatful' in their minds. And their minds/beliefs/assertions are supposedly the only ones that count on this issue.

But it seems to me there's no logical REASON why everyone else should suddenly flip to their view on this issue. Biology surely hasn't changed in the past 25 years. We only have people demanding that whatever they believe... despite science, despite biology... should be legally PROMOTED in all venues or else.
with only CERTAIN aspect of the Churches and of course all Muslims being exempt

theirs NO PLACE to even have a discussion.

Joe our view is Wrong by DEFAULT and must be snuffed out in law and practice.
though they will be gracious enough to allow us to to be evil and dinosaurs and THINK that there are only 2 genders, and THINK that homosexuality is a sin. As long as we don't ACT like anything about it is wrong... anywhere, anytime, or in anyway.
Because THAT'S FAIR and JUST for "everyone".
__________________
Hope is the dream of the waking man.
Aristotle

For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
Job 14:6-8
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 03-20-2017, 02:42 PM
Joe Shoe's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,089
Thanks: 764
Thanked 1,505 Times in 1,024 Posts
Default Re: LGBT law backlash hurting job search

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
I love how the right-wing tries to pretend they're of the mind-set that employers should be able to hire / fire as they please...

... until it actually affects one of their own. THEN it's just a "punishment".
Again, you put up a straw man. No one here has said anything about "should be able" or 'should not be able'. This isn't a discussion of employer rights.
__________________
What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand???
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
backlash, hurting, job, law, lgbt, search

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0