Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > Political Forums > Civil Rights & Abortion
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Civil Rights & Abortion Discuss Yes, Virginia; life is complicated... at the Political Forums; This is the same guy who jailed MLK for the first time. A local sheriff when I was a kid. ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-22-2016, 01:14 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 71,083
Thanks: 51,899
Thanked 24,649 Times in 17,427 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Yes, Virginia; life is complicated...

This is the same guy who jailed MLK for the first time. A local sheriff when I was a kid. He was in office for decades










So yeah, he protected one of the leaders of the KKK cause of their winning football relationship at the high school
I don't know how much was prejudice and how much was just trying to keep Halstead out of jail...
I know he took bribes from "colored" and white moonshiners. I also know there wouldn't have been much opportunity for income among the lower class whites or blacks at the time...
He helped a lot of people of both races ...
...so ...yes life and history are not black and white ...
I still have mixed feelings about this man
__________________
I'm the Ernest Hemingway of 140 characters. Donald Trump
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saltwn For This Useful Post:
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-22-2016, 01:18 PM
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,023
Thanks: 6,882
Thanked 5,587 Times in 3,431 Posts
Default Re: Yes, Virginia; life is complicated...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
This is the same guy who jailed MLK for the first time. A local sheriff when I was a kid. He was in office for decades










So yeah, he protected one of the leaders of the KKK cause of their winning football relationship at the high school
I don't know how much was prejudice and how much was just trying to keep Halstead out of jail...
I know he took bribes from "colored" and white moonshiners. I also know there wouldn't have been much opportunity for income among the lower class whites or blacks at the time...
He helped a lot of people of both races ...
...so ...yes life and history are not black and white ...
I still have mixed feelings about this man
Salty, there's always opportunity if you know where to look.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-22-2016, 01:18 PM
MrLiberty's Avatar
professional curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,457
Thanks: 21,797
Thanked 18,545 Times in 11,900 Posts
Default Re: Yes, Virginia; life is complicated...

There is no link to any of this, nor is the man's name anywhere in your post. We don't know what you are getting at because this makes no sense at all.

This is almost as bad as a mikeyy thread.
__________________
Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war.

Donald Trump
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrLiberty For This Useful Post:
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-22-2016, 01:46 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 71,083
Thanks: 51,899
Thanked 24,649 Times in 17,427 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Yes, Virginia; life is complicated...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLiberty View Post
There is no link to any of this, nor is the man's name anywhere in your post. We don't know what you are getting at because this makes no sense at all.

This is almost as bad as a mikeyy thread.
I don't want to post his name. I talked about the race riots in my hometown before on here. the pics are from his nephew. you can easily google "first sheriff to jail MLK" and read up on it.
the point is there is more than one aspect to a person
__________________
I'm the Ernest Hemingway of 140 characters. Donald Trump
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-24-2016, 10:44 PM
Joe Shoe's Avatar
Scholar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,852
Thanks: 710
Thanked 1,370 Times in 935 Posts
Default Re: Yes, Virginia; life is complicated...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwn View Post
I don't want to post his name. I talked about the race riots in my hometown before on here. the pics are from his nephew. you can easily google "first sheriff to jail MLK" and read up on it.
the point is there is more than one aspect to a person
It's good to always keep in mind that people are not binary in the way they are. People these days (in our hyper-political-correct society) have gotten to where they no longer see people as multi-faceted people, but as binary caricatures based on polarizing issues. I may be unusual to think so, but I don't think there are nearly as many true racists out there as some people think. As you say, life and history are not black and white (binary). In fact I think it is RARELY that way.

Do we have the courage to keep that in mind where the rubber meets the road--such as with Trump? IOW, some assume because he does uncouth things like say "the blacks" or that he didn't trust the Mexican judge, it means that he is evil and racist. I don't think that automatically means such, myself.
__________________
What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand???
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Shoe For This Useful Post:
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-24-2016, 11:18 PM
saltwn's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Esto perpetua
Posts: 71,083
Thanks: 51,899
Thanked 24,649 Times in 17,427 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Yes, Virginia; life is complicated...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shoe View Post
It's good to always keep in mind that people are not binary in the way they are. People these days (in our hyper-political-correct society) have gotten to where they no longer see people as multi-faceted people, but as binary caricatures based on polarizing issues. I may be unusual to think so, but I don't think there are nearly as many true racists out there as some people think. As you say, life and history are not black and white (binary). In fact I think it is RARELY that way.

Do we have the courage to keep that in mind where the rubber meets the road--such as with Trump? IOW, some assume because he does uncouth things like say "the blacks" or that he didn't trust the Mexican judge, it means that he is evil and racist. I don't think that automatically means such, myself.
thanks for getting my point
don't get me wrong; I believe there is true evil but more like it uses the weakness of others for gain
__________________
I'm the Ernest Hemingway of 140 characters. Donald Trump
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
complicated, life, virginia, yes

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0