Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > Political Forums > Civil Rights & Abortion
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Civil Rights & Abortion Discuss Iowa Democrats Pray for Abortion Rights at the Political Forums; Originally Posted by Joe Shoe LOL! Hey Steve, are you the same Steeeeve that was at 4forums? If so, welcome! ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 09-06-2013, 06:03 PM
Steve's Avatar
Intern
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Central Florida
Gender: Male
Posts: 88
Thanks: 29
Thanked 35 Times in 24 Posts
Default Re: Iowa Democrats Pray for Abortion Rights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shoe View Post
LOL!
Hey Steve, are you the same Steeeeve that was at 4forums? If so, welcome!
You'll find some of the same players, minus the fundie who tended to dominate all the threads over there.
No, I was at DP for quite a while (different name), but not familiar with 4forums.
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 09-06-2013, 06:30 PM
Idealogically Promiscuous's Avatar
Do I Look Like a Bitch?
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: West Hollywood, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,087
Thanks: 4,153
Thanked 6,673 Times in 3,956 Posts
Default Re: Iowa Democrats Pray for Abortion Rights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
No, I was at DP for quite a while (different name), but not familiar with 4forums.
Ah...DP. Double penetrated by CC and Tashah.
__________________
Say "what" one mo' goddamned time. I dare ya. I double dog dare ya.
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 09-06-2013, 08:05 PM
Steve's Avatar
Intern
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Central Florida
Gender: Male
Posts: 88
Thanks: 29
Thanked 35 Times in 24 Posts
Default Re: Iowa Democrats Pray for Abortion Rights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idealogically Promiscuous View Post
Ah...DP. Double penetrated by CC and Tashah.
Okay, the first one, no way. The second one, anytime. Er, I mean not dp me, but dp her (with all due respect), if you know what I mean.

I think I know you from there, different screen name of course. Former Alaskan and Sarah Palin fan, right?
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 09-14-2013, 11:09 AM
Joe Shoe's Avatar
PW Enlightenment
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,218
Thanks: 822
Thanked 1,589 Times in 1,079 Posts
Default Re: Iowa Democrats Pray for Abortion Rights

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
My point is clearly that by the standard you previously espoused, EVERY PREACHER would be considered fringe.
When every preacher starts saying the nutty things he does he does, then sure. That doesn't happen though, so no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
I know compared to the vast majority of other Christian congregations, it's much larger.
You don't generate those levels of $$$ millions without a significant following.
Chicken-before-the-egg thing. Robertson made his millions back in the 70s and early 80s. He can still buy exposure; that doesn't mean many people generally let themselves be influenced by him. You're confusing "having a following" with the fact he can afford PR and exposure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
Do you consider him "fringe" because he doesn't match your belief system
No, because he does't match MOST peoples' belief systems. What you're doing is like trying to indicate that Louis Farrakhan is mainstream simply because he has SOME following. No, he's not mainstream at all; he just has a lot of exposure for various reasons (mainly because the media likes a freak show sometimes.)
__________________
What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand???
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 09-16-2013, 01:05 PM
foundit66's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,609
Thanks: 10,110
Thanked 15,288 Times in 9,268 Posts
Post Re: Iowa Democrats Pray for Abortion Rights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shoe View Post
When every preacher starts saying the nutty things he does he does, then sure. That doesn't happen though, so no.
And here you have shifted the goal-posts.
Earlier, you were proclaiming "fringe" based on the number ( / donations / etc) of following for the pastor compared to the whole of Christianity.

Here, you are taking a much more subjective approach. I find this approach much more interesting in the context of what it will mean for future scenarios.
i.e. Christianity is moving more and more away from condemnation of gays. Thus, when enough of the Christian populace stops using gays as a punching bag, that will make those who do as the new "fringe".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shoe View Post
Chicken-before-the-egg thing. Robertson made his millions back in the 70s and early 80s. He can still buy exposure; that doesn't mean many people generally let themselves be influenced by him. You're confusing "having a following" with the fact he can afford PR and exposure.

He is not "buying" his "PR and exposure".
He FOUNDED the platform he has consistently used for a while which provides him with "PR and exposure".
The CBN income is in the $700 million range. To use the right-wing phrase, Robertson "built that".
He is STILL making millions. More accurately approaching the "billions" range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shoe View Post
No, because he does't match MOST peoples' belief systems. What you're doing is like trying to indicate that Louis Farrakhan is mainstream simply because he has SOME following. No, he's not mainstream at all; he just has a lot of exposure for various reasons (mainly because the media likes a freak show sometimes.
Did I say "mainstream"?

It's funny how this started with me pointing out Robertson's significance, and saying that when I did point this out it gets "disregarded".
You actually argued against that statement with a strawman approach changing my words.
And now, YOU are the one who is disregarding Robertson's significance, which actually proves my original claim.

And my original point in this thread was actually how Robertson has a lot more significance than this example of "Iowa Democrats Pray for Abortion Rights".
But THEY get attention, when Robertson who does something worse and has a larger following gets disregarded.

At this stage, you haven't even a clue as to why I mentioned him in the first place. You keep trying to misrepresent my point to attack it.
__________________
“Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.”
~Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by foundit66; 09-16-2013 at 02:39 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 09-16-2013, 02:11 PM
Idealogically Promiscuous's Avatar
Do I Look Like a Bitch?
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: West Hollywood, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,087
Thanks: 4,153
Thanked 6,673 Times in 3,956 Posts
Default Re: Iowa Democrats Pray for Abortion Rights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Okay, the first one, no way. The second one, anytime. Er, I mean not dp me, but dp her (with all due respect), if you know what I mean.

I think I know you from there, different screen name of course. Former Alaskan and Sarah Palin fan, right?
That would be me.
__________________
Say "what" one mo' goddamned time. I dare ya. I double dog dare ya.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
abortion, democrats, for, iowa, pray, rights

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0