Political Wrinkles  

Go Back   Political Wrinkles > Political Forums > Civil Rights & Abortion
Register FAQDonate PW Store PW Trivia Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Civil Rights & Abortion Discuss Deaf twins going blind are euthanized in Belgian hospital hospital at the Political Forums; They chose this for themselves. If they were Buddhists and had received meditation instructions perhaps they would have made another ...

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 01-17-2013, 09:32 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,655
Thanks: 1,084
Thanked 1,428 Times in 1,114 Posts
Default Re: Deaf twins going blind are euthanized in Belgian hospital hospital

They chose this for themselves. If they were Buddhists and had received meditation instructions perhaps they would have made another decision.

I don't judge them for it.

Precious human rebirth, as opposed to ordinary human rebirth includes having all sense faculties intact. Unless they had trained extensively in meditation, they now lacked the ability to do so.

As for the "helen keller" reference I would say that not only did Helen Keller have the ability to benefit, (and she was NOT 45 years old, but a child), she had an extraordinary teacher. Not everyone is that fortunate.

People who say this is murder don't understand that murder includes the motivation to cause suffering, not mercy.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 01-17-2013, 09:37 AM
rivrrat's Avatar
Queen of Awesomeness
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Gender: Female
Posts: 15,833
Thanks: 3,272
Thanked 10,473 Times in 6,022 Posts
Default Re: Deaf twins going blind are euthanized in Belgian hospital hospital

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wonder View Post
On a personal level, I think they made the wrong choice. A lot of moral, spiritual and humane reasons for them to continue on, have hope and live.

And on the next level, the gov't and doctors stepping in to DO the deed LEGALLY is evil.
It's Murder ,simple as that.
Dr's are sworn, or used to swear, never to give anything for suicide or abortion, in the Hippocratic oath. There sworn duty is to heal and relieve suffering in life, not bring life to an end.
The gov't's ONLY ligit reason for existence is to protect life, property and liberty not to take it, except in defense.

It makes the world a much darker and unsafe place when together Drs and gov'ts are promoting euthanasia as an answer to problems.

And the thought of giving a CHILD the choice of euthanasia is insanely wicked.
Sometimes the only way to bring suffering to an end is to end the life. Simple fact.

I applaud the doctors for assisting these individuals in THEIR CHOICE, and the government for allowing individuals to make such a CHOICE about their own bodies and their own lives.

To force people to live in suffering would be wicked and evil.
__________________


Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.

Gypsy Soul Memories
Scuba Diver Life
My YouTube Channel
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rivrrat For This Useful Post:
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 01-17-2013, 09:45 AM
Oftencold's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 18,936
Thanks: 11,660
Thanked 9,717 Times in 6,203 Posts
Default Re: Deaf twins going blind are euthanized in Belgian hospital hospital

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
Sometimes the only way to bring suffering to an end is to end the life. Simple fact.

I applaud the doctors for assisting these individuals in THEIR CHOICE, and the government for allowing individuals to make such a CHOICE about their own bodies and their own lives.

To force people to live in suffering would be wicked and evil.
Actually, that is the one and only way to bring suffering to an end, a cure to which everyone is heir.
__________________
“Quod scripsi, scripsi"

╠═════════════════════════════════════╣

“Serpent's breath, charm of death and life, thy omen of making!”
Or if you're a traditionalist,
“Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha!”
And children, say it like you mean it!

╠═════════════════════════════════════╣
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 01-17-2013, 05:46 PM
1069's Avatar
Bookworm.
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,073
Thanks: 4,721
Thanked 4,834 Times in 2,602 Posts
Default Re: Deaf twins going blind are euthanized in Belgian hospital hospital

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oftencold View Post
Can't. They're dead. Murdered by the State. Walking in their shoes would be grave robbing.



See: Helen Keller

There's a reason Helen Keller is still famous today, even though she lived a hundred years ago: she was a singularly exceptional human being.
Maybe these sick, elderly twins were just ordinary.
Also, Keller was blind and deaf since infancy or young toddlerhood. These disabilities befell her at the exact time when the brain is making millions of new synapses every day, allowing her the perfect opportunity to adapt to her conditions, if anyone possibly could.
These twins are old, they are at an age where they are naturally losing brain synapses rather than gaining them. They are unlikely to adapt to being blind and deaf, especially if the will is simply not there.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 01-17-2013, 06:06 PM
cnredd's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Gender: Male
Posts: 53,270
Thanks: 2,072
Thanked 32,970 Times in 19,181 Posts
Default Re: Deaf twins going blind are euthanized in Belgian hospital hospital

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
I'm glad for them that they lived in a country that allows such a choice.
I'm OK with the IDEA that they had a choice...

...but I'm concerned with the prematurity of it...

They accepted euthanasia BEFORE they were totally blind and the fear of it led to their decision instead of living through it...

I think it should've been mandatory for them to actually go through it first, and then say (obviously, through other means of communication) "Yes...This is as bad as I thought it would be...I want to go now."...THEN I'm on board...

"FEAR of what it would be like" and "What is IS like" are two different things...

There's a chance (remote as it is) that either or/both of them could've gone blind and STILL led happy or productive lives...To give them a chance to deny that opportunity to know and say "Do it before we find out." just sounds too premature for me...
__________________
"You get the respect that you give" - cnredd
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 01-17-2013, 06:11 PM
Idealogically Promiscuous's Avatar
Do I Look Like a Bitch?
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: West Hollywood, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,087
Thanks: 4,153
Thanked 6,673 Times in 3,956 Posts
Default Re: Deaf twins going blind are euthanized in Belgian hospital hospital

It does not sit well with me, personally, but my personal feelings on the matter are not a valid reason to deny another person the freedom of choice and control over their own life, death, and destiny.
__________________
Say "what" one mo' goddamned time. I dare ya. I double dog dare ya.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Idealogically Promiscuous For This Useful Post:
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 01-17-2013, 06:12 PM
cnredd's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Gender: Male
Posts: 53,270
Thanks: 2,072
Thanked 32,970 Times in 19,181 Posts
Default Re: Deaf twins going blind are euthanized in Belgian hospital hospital

And the slippery slope is DEFINITELY there...

If this is grounds for euthanasia simply based on a person's FEAR, then what's stopping someone from wanting to be euthanized instead of having their legs amputated because of disease?...Do they get the greenlight?...How about someone who wants to die because they fear going through life with one arm?...Or MS?...

And what makes this even worse is that eventually you're going to need a LITERAL death panel to decide what handicaps are "euthanasia worthy" and what ones are not...
__________________
"You get the respect that you give" - cnredd
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cnredd For This Useful Post:
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 01-17-2013, 06:17 PM
rivrrat's Avatar
Queen of Awesomeness
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Gender: Female
Posts: 15,833
Thanks: 3,272
Thanked 10,473 Times in 6,022 Posts
Default Re: Deaf twins going blind are euthanized in Belgian hospital hospital

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnredd View Post
And the slippery slope is DEFINITELY there...

If this is grounds for euthanasia simply based on a person's FEAR, then what's stopping someone from wanting to be euthanized instead of having their legs amputated because of disease?...Do they get the greenlight?...How about someone who wants to die because they fear going through life with one arm?...Or MS?...
People should be perfectly free to choose death for whatever reason they ****ing want.

Quote:
And what makes this even worse is that eventually you're going to need a LITERAL death panel to decide what handicaps are "euthanasia worthy" and what ones are not...
Not necessary. Just allow those who CHOOSE to do it, to do it.
__________________


Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.

Gypsy Soul Memories
Scuba Diver Life
My YouTube Channel
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rivrrat For This Useful Post:
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 01-17-2013, 06:18 PM
cnredd's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Gender: Male
Posts: 53,270
Thanks: 2,072
Thanked 32,970 Times in 19,181 Posts
Default Re: Deaf twins going blind are euthanized in Belgian hospital hospital

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idealogically Promiscuous View Post
It does not sit well with me, personally, but my personal feelings on the matter are not a valid reason to deny another person the freedom of choice and control over their own life, death, and destiny.
Would you say the same if someone wanted to be euthanized by the state because they were a guitar player and lost the fingers on one hand and now fear of living a life without being able to play?...

That's the problem...

It's NOT denying another person the freedom of choice and control over their own life, death, and destiny...

It's the STATE (In this case, Belgium) DECIDING the freedom of choice and control over their own life, death, and destiny...
__________________
"You get the respect that you give" - cnredd
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 01-17-2013, 06:19 PM
rivrrat's Avatar
Queen of Awesomeness
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Gender: Female
Posts: 15,833
Thanks: 3,272
Thanked 10,473 Times in 6,022 Posts
Default Re: Deaf twins going blind are euthanized in Belgian hospital hospital

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnredd View Post
I'm OK with the IDEA that they had a choice...

...but I'm concerned with the prematurity of it...

They accepted euthanasia BEFORE they were totally blind and the fear of it led to their decision instead of living through it...

I think it should've been mandatory for them to actually go through it first, and then say (obviously, through other means of communication) "Yes...This is as bad as I thought it would be...I want to go now."...THEN I'm on board...

"FEAR of what it would be like" and "What is IS like" are two different things...

There's a chance (remote as it is) that either or/both of them could've gone blind and STILL led happy or productive lives...To give them a chance to deny that opportunity to know and say "Do it before we find out." just sounds too premature for me...
Why? It's their choice. Why try to force them to suffer further based on your ideals? And I say 'try' because they can just as easily off themselves without assistance.
__________________


Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.

Gypsy Soul Memories
Scuba Diver Life
My YouTube Channel
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
are, assisted, belgian, blind, deaf, euthanized, going, hospital, suicide, twins

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0