View Single Post
Old 09-08-2020, 01:42 PM
Runs with scissors

Thanked 13,990 Times in 7,614 Posts
Default Re: Why must some companies make price increases that are sneaky--not straightforward

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjohns View Post
One practice that I simply despise is downsizing.

I do understand that inflation is a reality; and that companies must, therefore, periodically pass along those higher costs--including wholesale costs of the product itself; labor costs; rent on the building (if it is not owned outright); and any other costs associated with the production of goods.

But a straightforward price increase is certainly an honorable way to achieve that.

Downsizing, on the other hand--in the apparent hope that many people will just not notice the slightly smaller package--is not really honorable.

For instance, the 23.6-ounce container of body wash that I regularly purchase is now just 22.0 ounces. (The container it comes in is of an irregular shape--so I really cannot describe it by the typical geometric terms--but the new bottle is designed just like the old bottle.)

If the company had simply increased its wholesale price by less than seven percent, so that its retail outlets might increase their own price from an even $3.00 to $3.26, it could have achieved the same end--but without any deception.

I suppose that I just do not like deception in marketing.

Correction: I know that I do not like deception in marketing.
Back in the fifties and sixties, the price of a candy bar stayed the same but the size of the bar changed depending on the price of sugar. Candy companies got away with it for decades. Still do.
But today, a three pound can of coffee is 22.4 ounces. Less than half.

Coffee industry did the downsizing for years using end aisle sales to confound the consumer. Few noticed. Except old farts like you and me.

Cereal companies, and pasta companies do it as well. Changing the net weights from16 oz to 12 oz in the exact same cartons.

Milk on the other hand comes in gallon and it's price has risen dramatically . A gallon is a gallon and that, Like gasoline, cannot change. So the price escalates.

Not much the consumer can do but complain and change brands to those which haven't done the swap.....; YET.

I AM NOT A REPUBLICAN, I AM A FREEMAN, THE DEMOCRATS WORST NIGHTMARE
The Following User Says Thank You to FrancSevin For This Useful Post: