View Single Post
Old 02-20-2020, 09:18 AM
Sanity is overrated.

Thanked 9,809 Times in 6,003 Posts
Default Re: The Real Problem With America's Healthcare System

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancSevin View Post
I have given this personal example for years but, it examples exactly what you are claiming, and bears repeating.

Drom1990 to 2010, I was self insured. We had a catastrophic policy, but doctor visits and prescription meds were handled out of pocket. I always did and annual physical. The doctor told me that if he turned it in on insurance the bill was $1,800. If he billed me with an invoice to pay off overtime it was $1,200.

"What if I paid cash today?" I asked He quickly responded, "$660.00 because I don't have to pay someone to do all the paperwork. And, I don't have to wait 90 days for my money."

2012 I went on Medicare because Obama cancelled our catastrophic insurance. 6 months later Cathy had emergency surgery and I got a $30,000 bill. But my annual physical cost only a $45.00 Co-Pay. So, I shouldn't complain, right?

Here's another example. When I first went on ADVAIR in 1990, the monthly disk cost $59.00. Today, the over the counter cost at the pharmacy is now $690.00.

But thanks to Medicare, I have a co-pay of ,get this,$58.00 I save a whole dollar. This because as a mandated program, I the customer have no say in the overall pricing. There is no competition or accountability to force down costs and the final price because the Gubmit just agrees to pay for it.

Big Pharma and Big Insurance benefits. The Taxpayer pays big time.

thanks
When I was first diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes, I made several inquires about paying cash for the insulin. $136 (?) I believe it was for a bottle of Novalog. That was 14 years ago. Now, I believe it is up to $400+. I've posted several articles on here regarding Big Pharma and their scalping.

The latest game of Big Pharma is to 'subsidize' their own prices so people can afford their meds... my test strips went from $65 (not on my insurance's preferred formulary) a month to $35 when I had contacted my new insulin pump company and complained about the cost of the strips needed for the proprietary meter linked with their pump. They reached out to the test strip company and *ding* I was subsidized.

So, was I truly subsidized on the back of other consumers, or did the test strip company reduce their profit margin to keep a user 'hooked'? I can (and do) use an inexpensive non-linked meter that takes test strips I already have, and can get for a fraction of the cost.

Games Big Pharma plays, and will continue to do so as long as they are guaranteed customers.
The Following User Says Thank You to GottaGo For This Useful Post: