View Single Post
Old 12-13-2007, 11:28 AM
guitarist

Thanked 3,265 Times in 1,941 Posts
Default Re: The "News Stories" forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnredd View Post
Thanks for the kind words...

Think of the news stories as a "tickertape" or a crawler that you see at the bottom of a news program...

The object isn't to discuss every little story (One day we may have enough people to actually do that)...the object is to inform members of the top stories of the day without them having to go offsite...Even if someone just skims over them without commenting, at least the member is a little more informed about recent events...

I've noticed that a member or two has made comments to one of the news stories threads...that means the article piqued enough interest to comment...So I've moved them to the relevant forum for the members to continue the discussion and not get lost in the plethora of the other articles presented...

You're asking something like this...

"Have a program where the second someone posts a comment, the thread gets moved out of the "News Stories" forum and into a forum where the members debate."...

First, there isn't a program that does that (to my knowledge)...Second, The software would never know which forum to place the thread in...

And there's no chance I would automate EVERY thread to go to a different forum because some of the threads aren't discussed, making the new forum appear filled with topics where there is no debate...

If anyone has the motivation and has enough interest in an article they've read in the News Stories forum, they can always start a new thread about it in the relevant forum and start up a dialogue...
I didn't figure there was a way to automatically move a thread --- but, what the heck...I figured I'd ask...