View Single Post
Old 06-16-2017, 04:11 PM

Thanked 14,847 Times in 8,985 Posts
Post Re: Massachusetts texting suicide verdict: Michelle Carter guilty of involuntary mans

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoriolus View Post
Something seems wrong about this decision. This should be appealed for more than 1 reason. The girl was also receiving help from psych professionals and was on Celexa. I don't know if he was taking anything or had just come off a medication. This should be reviewed.
She had a defense which could raise any of those items they could at trial.
Did they?

If they chose not to, then she doesn't get a "do over" just because now she realizes that the *I didn't do nuttin' wrong* approach failed.
Prosecutors had claimed that Michelle Carter had sought public attention from her boyfriend's death, and their putative relationship was almost entirely online rather than in-person. The suggestibility and vulnerability of Mr. Roy, a minor at the time, has been an issue. Her attorneys had argued that the defendant had broken no law and had been merely exercising her first amendment right to free speech, and that at that time she was a juvenile and that the matter should focus on that fact.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michel...ter_(defendant)

She deliberately chose those actions to effect a social benefit from somebody else's death. Over the course of days, she tried to persuade him to do it and advised him on how to accomplish it. It wasn't just a spur of the moment thing...

Michelle Carter trial: In days before Conrad Roy's death, teens shared suicidal plan, selfies | masslive.com
Read the details at the above link and tell me you don't think she's guilty...
“Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.”
~Abraham Lincoln