View Single Post
Old 01-05-2017, 11:57 AM
PW Enlightenment

Thanked 10,924 Times in 8,520 Posts
Default Re: Been a long trial: But HOBOS "Super Gang Leader is Guility of killing 8

..................... PART # 2 to the above news on HOBOS Gang Leader

He also sought to distance himself from Daniels' killing, saying he had no motive whatsoever to order the hit even though Daniels' cooperation had led to Chester's arrest on drug charges days earlier. Chester told the jury his mother was good friends with Daniels' mother and that she had already lost another son to violence.

"Keith Daniels is like family to me," Chester testified. "His mother is like my mother. I mean, I felt her pain. I know what she went through, and I wouldn't ever want to see her go through anything like that again."

In a tense cross-examination, Assistant U.S. Attorney Patrick Otlewski repeatedly tried to paint Chester as a liar. While he mostly kept his composure, Chester's memory grew hazy on many points, from whom he was with for certain drug deals to how much heroin his main drug supplier would give him.

The cross-examination nearly derailed when Otlewski asked Chester about an elaborate arm tattoo depicting a pair of eyes — and what appear to be horns — overlooking the now-razed Robert Taylor Homes along with the word "Hobo" and the phrase "The Earth is Our Turf."

Chester testified that the tattoo is a tribute to a slain friend nicknamed Hobo and that the eyes represent God looking down over the public housing projects where they were raised.

"Was the God that you follow an angry God?" asked Otlewski, drawing an immediate rebuke from the judge.

Prosecutors allege that the Hobos represented a new breed of gang that was made up of members from various gangs who once were rivals. Many of the Hobos started in the now-demolished Robert Taylor and Ida B. Wells public housing complexes from factions of the Gangster Disciples and the Black Disciples street gangs, according to prosecutors.

Lawyers for the defendants, however, have argued that much of the prosecution's evidence is based on the lies of informants or associates of the Hobos who agreed to cooperate in hope of leniency from prosecutors.

Jurors sat through months of tedious but often gruesome testimony about one violent scene after another, all attributed to the Hobos. They heard about the shooting outside a day care near the Ida B. Wells complex in which a father — and known Hobos rival — was shot nine times in the legs and buttocks while going to pick up his child.

They were shown photos of the bodies of two leaders of the rival Black Disciples who were ambushed and killed in September 2007 after they left a funeral home. One of the victims, Antonio Bluitt, still had a cigar hanging from his mouth.

There were also photos taken of injuries suffered by two brothers who prosecutors say were tied up and tortured with a hot clothes iron by several Hobos who mistakenly thought they had narcotics stashed in their Far South Side home.

Some of the most dramatic testimony came from Daniels' fiancee, Shanice Peatry, who testified she saw a gunman walk up to their car and open fire though the front windshield while she sat with Daniels and their son and daughter, then ages 4 and 6.

Peatry said she instinctively ducked into the back seat to push the kids to the floor while Daniels bailed out of the passenger side and fell to the ground. The gunman took his time, she said, walking over to Daniels and standing over him, pumping round after round into his chest as their children screamed.

"It was so many (shots) I couldn't count," said Peatry, pausing at times in her testimony to shake her head and draw a breath. "It kind of felt like it was in slow motion to me, like he wasn't in no rush."

Before he jumped into a waiting SUV, the assailant walked close enough to Peatry for her to see dreadlocks sticking out from under his mask and peer into his eyes. She knew instantly it was Poe, she said.

Two weeks later, as part of the defense case, the jury watched a heartbreaking videotaped interview of Daniels' son talking about what he'd witnessed that day. Seated at a low table with colored markers in front of him, the boy fidgeted and kicked his feet as the interviewer coaxed details out of him.

"I was covering my ears because those gunshots was too loud," the boy said. "My sister said, 'Don't get out, Daddy! Don't!' ... My daddy got out and that's when he got shot in the leg. ... He tripped over a rock. He was on the ground and he got shot again."

The boy said the killer wielded a shotgun and was wearing a mask that covered all but his eyes and mouth — a description that differed from the account given by his mother.

"He came up and shot the window and he shot my daddy," the boy said.........

Jury convicts reputed leaders of Hobos 'super gang' for 8 killings - Chicago Tribune

Search Page: https://www.bing.com/search?q=Leader...ZI&form=MOZSPG

Improvise - Adapt - Over Come...

Last edited by mlurp; 01-05-2017 at 12:11 PM..