View Single Post
Old 02-18-2014, 07:30 AM

Thanked 9,718 Times in 6,203 Posts
Default Re: Prank turns deadly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shoe View Post
While I'm overwhelmingly supportive of gun rights, I do think it is important that legal gun owners not be stupid and instead be responsible with their firearms. This sounds like a case of someone over-reacting to me and not acting responsibly with a firearm. Gun violence over halloween pranks? Geez, this is crazy. My dad used to sit on the roof and spray pranksters with a hose when they started rolling the trees. They and we always got a good laugh out of it.

Adrian Broadway, 15, fatally shot in prank in Arkansas - CNN.com
The teenagers told police they had thrown toilet paper, eggs and mayonnaise on a car parked there. As they were leaving, a man came out of the house and opened fire. Broadway was struck in the head and died. Another teenager, the driver, suffered injuries to his right arm. He was transported to a hospital, where he was treated and released. Police have identified the shooting suspect as 48-year-old Willie Noble. He was charged with one count of first-degree murder, one count of a terroristic act and five counts of aggravated assault, they said.

"They was trying to be teenagers," Bland said. "As you know teenagers make mistakes, and this was one of those mistakes."
I suppose that it's a failing of mine that I find myself unable to get as worked up about this as I should.

I've seen articles over the last few years where teenagers and young adults died trying to save others. Or fighting for their country. Or were killed in accidents while working to support their families. Or from illnesses or in accidents after having made careful arrangements for their organs to be harvested. And the Public doesn't give a carp.

Yet when some delinquent creeping about an apartment complex in the dark attacks a resident whom he is briefly surprised to find willing to defend himself gets killed, there is stage manged pubic theater to depict angst. Or when vandals hanging out with a much older man get shot for their trouble, we get this sort of story, that I'd imagine will spawn months of follow ups.

I should care more I admit it. It is entirely wrong of me not to, and I'll have to work on that. In the meantime, I'll take some small comfort in trying to remember the young who died and thereby actually made our society the poorer in doing so. Someone should.

╠═════════════════════════════════════╣

“Serpent's breath, charm of death and life, thy omen of making!”
Or if you're a traditionalist,
“Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha!”
And children, say it like you mean it!

╠═════════════════════════════════════╣

Last edited by Oftencold; 02-18-2014 at 12:54 PM..