View Single Post
Old 10-23-2013, 11:00 PM

Thanked 9,718 Times in 6,203 Posts
Default Re: Cops: Self-described Militant Atheist Violently Attacks Pastor After Sermon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shoe View Post
"NORTH HAMPTON, Ohio - Police Chief Jarrod Campbell said in his eleven years with the department, he's rarely seen "an incident this brutal." Campbell is referring to Sunday's brutal assault on a pastor by a self-described militant atheist with a criminal past. The incident occurred following a sermon by Rev. Norman Hayes, 57, at the Bridge Community Church in North Hampton.
The suspect, 28-year-old James Maxie, of Springfield, Ohio, was attending the service with his girlfriend. According to Rev. Hayes, Maxie was vocally confrontational during the service as if "looking for an argument." After the service the couple approached Hayes. She told police that when Hayes asked if Maxie was abusing her, Maxie attacked him, striking him several times in the face in the church hallway.
"I questioned his girlfriend in his presence if she felt safe," Hayes said. "He was very, very upset that I'd even suggest that he would hurt her. Then he turned around and hurt me very badly."
Hayes said he feared for his life and begged for the attack to stop. He suffered a broken nose, bruises and three long cuts that required stitches across his face."
Cops: Self-described Militant Atheist Violently Attacks Pastor After Sermon
First, I DON'T believe this means atheists are any more likely to be violent than anyone else. I post this story because a common argument atheists make is that religion is behind much of the violence in the world. If we were to take their approach when making that argument, one could generalize about such a story as this. But us more rational people know better.
I disagree. People without a religion that demands peaceful behavior are left with far less to oppose the natural tendency of the human animal to violence. One might say that Atheists choose to be non violent, and I'm sure that most do when such behavior is the social norm where they live. (The social norm having been informed be religious instruction, present and historical.)

╠═════════════════════════════════════╣

“Serpent's breath, charm of death and life, thy omen of making!”
Or if you're a traditionalist,
“Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha!”
And children, say it like you mean it!

╠═════════════════════════════════════╣