View Single Post
Old 09-18-2012, 12:51 AM
Banned

Thanked 3,068 Times in 2,073 Posts
Default Re: High Ranking DOJ Official Refuses to Affirm 1st Amendment Rights

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundit66 View Post
Was the guy allowed to actually answer?

What I saw was the a-hole chairman interrupting before Perez could get even a sentence out.

And as for my answer, I would want to qualify it considering how many people out there are already going to try to misrepresent my answer.
Because even though we DO NOT have any such laws, I have REPEATEDLY seen people on this board pretend we do.
Additionally, I have seen people try to EXEMPT themselves from EXISTING laws which should apply to EITHER "religion" or "non-religious" cases, pretending that just because it's "religion" that automatically gives it special status.

What the question SHOULD have involved is this:
"never entertain or advance a proposal that criminalizes criticism against any religion?"
And my answer would be "yes. I would never entertain or advance such a proposal".

As to the question Perez actually got, I already explained a scenario where that SHOULD BE "no", but of course you don't want to address it.
"never" and "any" are too broad to just reference "speech".

Let's try a different tactic.
Wouldn't "criticism" be a better word to use here?
Do you disagree that the word "speech" is too broad? There are a variety of forms of currently illegal speech.
You shouldn't need a long answer to a yes or no question. That's pretty much how the Constitution works. Nice to see you want to work in some exceptions though. How obamaish of you.
The Following User Says Thank You to AzMike For This Useful Post: