View Single Post
Old 12-17-2021, 03:38 AM
PW Enlightenment

Thanked 26,858 Times in 19,308 Posts
Send a message via AIM to saltwn Send a message via MSN to saltwn Send a message via Yahoo to saltwn
Default Re: Has Elon Musk gone off his rocker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by awoken View Post
I have seen stories in the news recently that Elon Musk wants to send a new sort of Noah's Arc to mars. That's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. Mars only has 38% of the earths gravity. I doubt very much if Humans could survive in such low gravity. As it is here on earth, many humans exercise to keep fit. Imagine trying to do so when the gravity is less that half of earths.

And worse yet, what if humans did become adapted to live in such low gravity. They would never be able to return to earth. Also, mars doesn't have much in the way of an atmosphere or magnetic field. Creatures living on the surface would be bombarded with all sorts of cosmic radiation.

The fact of the matter is that the earth is FAR better for human life than anyplace else in the solar system. If Elon Musk wants to have humans on mars as some sort of insurance to see to it that humans survive, he would be far better off doing it here on earth. And it would be far cheaper. Just go to some remote place and build a self sustaining habitat there. Maybe with much of it underground. And if anything does go wrong, you don't have to go as far for supplies or whatever you may need.